Favorite Books for Middle School from Middle School Kids
Once your child can read Harry Potter, the entire universe of books opens up, but what is age appropriate? I have handed my oldest chapter books that were Newbery Award winners, on the thin side, and with decent size type only to find them a tad too old for her based on content. I have a tendency to steer what I call “Grapes of Wrath” realism to middle school; I think these books are fine for 4th or 5th grade as a classroom assignment because the teacher provides context, but reading for pleasure should be … a pleasure. Read more…
Summer Coming of Age Books for Girls
This is what I was thinking when I came up with this kooky list:
- Summer read, preferably on the beach or on vacation.
- Has to be a good read but not too strenuous or stressful or heavy (no Grapes of Wrath vibe!).
- The book is about the summer and/or beach and/or beachy vacation vibe; like, hey, we are all on vacation. You in the book and me in real life.
- A great lead GIRL character.
- Counts towards summer homework book assignment but was thoroughly enjoyable.
- For incoming grades 4-6.
Can you think of any more coming of age chapter book for girls set during the summer? I’d love to add your pick! Thanks!