College Majors that Lead to High Paying Jobs
My brother-in-law sent me this link of the Worst and Best College Majors according to Kiplingers. It’s based on data from Payscale.com and Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce. Kiplingers looked for majors whose graduates—both recent grads (within the past five years) and those well into their careers—face a brutal combination of low compensation and high unemployment.
I’ve been in the staffing industry for years and have hired lots of college graduates in a variety of entry level positions. So here’s my take on this survey:
- A College Degree is the new High School Diploma. And it’s caveat …
- A Master’s Degree is the new College Degree.
- A degree in one these Top 10 Worst Degrees from a Top 10 Best College will mean a job for most graduates.
- How well you do in college counts.
- An Internship experience will pave the way for a real job. It’s worth it to work for free.
- You are your own product. How you market yourself counts for a lot.
- A poor Social Media footprint can cost you a job offer as can bad credit. Read more…