I’m pleased that since our last update of books my 5th grade son read through the end of November, he’s (well… we’ve) managed to read another dozen. The key is that:
- He has to read at school.
- His teacher has a read aloud book.
- He’s assigned 30 minutes reading homework 5 days a week.
- We try to read 20 minutes at night on the nights he’s not assigned reading homework.
- I am picking new, fun books mixed up with books in series that he’s enjoyed.
- I read out loud to him 15 to 20 minutes a night as part of his 30 minute reading homework.
- His school does a March Madness reading competition which gets him reading.
I’m also trying to find similar books to what my son likes which include action adventure fantasy like Percy Jackson, funny notebook novels like Timmy Failure, and gaming contests like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Read more…