There is something magical about this chapter book. Even though the characters are fairly static, I still liked it and doesn’t happen very often. Usually when I get a book about a concept — in this case, karma and change — the story doesn’t stand on its own, it’s so weighted down by The Big Message.
In case, the message of change via a magical hat (that could also be karma) is encased with other delightful elements:
- Magical hats that help each character find their inner happiness.
- Illustrations that you are encouraged to color in (assuming its your book and not from the library)!
- A story that magically builds vocabulary!
- Crazy made up vocabulary words that do not exist in the Dictionary are also used. (Look for those. They’re fun!).
- An extensive glossary in the back of the chapter book to recap all that great vocabulary learning!
Tilda Pinkerton’s Magical Hats by Angela Shelton