Please welcome my guest author, Natalie from After School with Smarty Pants. She has wonderful enrichment activities and life skills for advanced learners on her blog. Today, she covering how to find books for an advanced young reader which can be tricky because the content might be too advanced or inappropriate for them.
Who Is an Advanced Reader?
Every parent probably knows if they have an advanced reader. Here is my definition from my post on book recommendations for advanced readers:
- Advanced readers don’t need reminders, rewards, or any other encouragement to read.
- Started reading early or progressed very rapidly in their reading levels.
- No longer interested in most books recommended for their age.
- Choose reading over other activities, read to relax and chill out.
- Not intimidated by the length of the book or by font size.
- Can spend hours in the library.
- Might have a passionate interest in something and look for every possible book on that subject.
- Have good comprehension and usually test significantly higher than their age on reading and comprehension tests. Read more…