My round-up of resources for Black History Month includes:
- African American children’s book lists
- Multicultural Children’s Book Club videos
- Read Your World Ig Live interviews with Black KidLit Creators
African American Books for Kids
This list covers picture books, chapter books, and young adult.
If you read these picture books in order, it gives an overview of the African American experience historically starting from slavery to the present day.
Meeting Ruby Bridges was a thrill for me and further reinforced how important it is for kids to learn about the Civil Rights Movement.
An advanced picture book that paints a portrait of Booker T. Washington as a determined young boy.
If you just want a snapshot of the Civil Rights Movement for young children, try these three books: two picture books and a chapter book.
These five books show different perspectives from the story of a young Masai girl who wants to touch the moon to visiting family in Tanzania and The Gambia.
Africa Access was founded in 1989 to help schools, public libraries, and parents improve the quality of their K-12 collections on Africa.
I have a section in this post about the Civil Rights Movement.
Black History Month Books for Kids and Teens
Read Your World Ig Live Interview Series:
Multicultural Children’s Book Club: Juneteenth Jamboree by Carole Boston Weatherford
Multicultural Children’s Book Club: Opal Lee and What It Means to Be Free by Alice Faye Duncan
Multicultural Children’s Book Club: Tamara Shiloh, owner of Multicultural Bookstore and Gifts presents Change Sings by Amanda Gorman
To examine any book more closely at Indiebound or Amazon, please click on image of book.
As an Amazon and IndieBound Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Food for the Future: Sustainable Farms Around the World
- Junior Library Guild Gold selection
- Selected as one of 100 Outstanding Picture Books of 2023 by dPICTUS and featured at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair
- Starred review from School Library Journal
- Chicago Library’s Best of the Best
- Imagination Soup’s 35 Best Nonfiction Books of 2023 for Kids