Visiting Bates College
My Bates College visit takeaways:
- It has a friendly and engaged vibe.
- It has one dining hall which is what the students wanted.
- Freshmen can get parking.
- Curriculum requirements are limited to 3 in STEM.
- Beautiful campus.
- They did a really good job in the prospective student visit. Probably the best one I’ve seen yet because they separated parents from kids right off the bat! We went immediately into small group tours and our person was awesome.
- There were at least 5 student tour guides. They were exceptional. They were friendly and informed. They also represented diversity in their student population.
- The Admissions presentation was really awesome and we were only able to see the first half. They paired it with a student who was very engaging and active at school.
- Bates is located in a blue-collar ex-lumber mill town. It is also a refugee center for relocation. Bates is really great about community engagement with the two towns –population 60k nearby.
- Winter sports seem popular but not that close by. Still at least an hour drive.
- The school has a “polar bear” dip in the pond tradition.
- Students there seen nice and passionate about what they study and pursue.
p.s. Related posts (all my posts on applying to college are here):
To examine any book more closely at Amazon, please click on image of book.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
BEST #OWNVOICES CHILDREN’S BOOKS: My Favorite Diversity Books for Kids Ages 1-12 is a book that I created to highlight books written by authors who share the same marginalized identity as the characters in their books.