I’m mentoring a high school student First To Go To College at my local high school and our kickoff meeting was held at Brandeis University. I had been to Brandeis before — quite a few times — but only on their soccer field for my daughter’s club soccer team.
In fact, there was a lot to learn about Brandeis that I had no idea about:
- It has both liberal arts and a strong tradition of STEM research
- Universities that offer this combination are often quite large, but Brandeis has a total undergraduate enrollment of 3,635.
- Brandeis is a suburban campus in Waltham, Massachusetts near Boston.
- The campus size is 235 acres.
- There is both ethnic diversity and religious diversity at Brandeis.
Religious Diversity at Brandeis University
Why Our Tour Guide Chose Brandeis
I’m glad I got a chance to learn about Brandeis University. It’s one of those colleges that manages to be a lot of different things at the same time: a research university without being overwhelmingly huge, strong in both liberal arts and sciences, and a religiously diverse nonsectarian university while being rooted in Jewish history and experience.
BEST #OWNVOICES CHILDREN’S BOOKS: My Favorite Diversity Books for Kids Ages 1-12 is a book that I created to highlight books written by authors who share the same marginalized identity as the characters in their books.