To celebrate Valentine’s Day without the kids, my husband and I used a gift certificate that I received from my childhood friends for my birthday to take a cooking class at Saltbox Farm. It’s small working farm that sells farm shares, has a small restaurant, and a cooking school.
We had a wonderful time learning knife skills and how to make gnocchi from scratch. The best part of the class was feasting at the end!
Salt Box Farm Cooking Class: Gnocchi from Scratch
- 1 cup of flour to 1 pound potato to 1 egg (plus salt and nutmeg).
- Make sure the potatoes are floury, not waxy.
- Use Russet potatoes.
- Bake until soft on a bed of salt. It helps to dry out the potatoes.
- Use kosher salt.
- Gently mix the potato with egg.
- Fold in the flour to the potato and egg mixture with your fingertips until it resembles pebbles.
- Gently knead the dough until smooth but still slightly sticky.
- Cut dough and roll into 1/2 in logs. Cut into one-inch pieces and shape into gnocchi.
Here’s the recipe from Saltbox Kitchen: Gnocchi
We did not make the final dish but it was served with braised short ribs, ragout of mushrooms. and parmesan cheese. It was delicious!
BEST #OWNVOICES CHILDREN’S BOOKS: My Favorite Diversity Books for Kids Ages 1-12 is a book that I created to highlight books written by authors who share the same marginalized identity as the characters in their books.