Please join us for our Multicultural Children’s Book Day
Win 1 of 12 Book Bundles! Giving away Book Bundles every 6 minutes!
Friday, January 27th
9 pm to 10 pm EST
We will be discussing the state of children’s book publishing and giving away diversity book bundles every six minutes! We invite EVERYONE to join us: authors, publishers, parents, caregivers, librarians, KidLit lovers. You don’t have to be an author or publisher sponsor to join us! Let’s talk about our favorite multicultural and diverse children’s books, authors, and illustrators!
How do you join the Twitter party? Just use hashtag #ReadYourWorld to find us. When you tweet, use the hashtag so everyone can find you!
Please RSVP for Twitter Party Here:
All winners need to be signed up so that we can send you your book bundle.
2017 Multicultural Children’s Book DayTwitter Party Book Bundle GIVEAWAYS
Question 1 (9:00pm): Scholatic’s research on top trends in children’s literature found that LESSONS ON KINDNESS WILL BE KEY. What is your top concern?
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #1:
Early chapter books and chapter books for ages 6 and up
- MVP-Gold Medal Mess by David A. Kelly
- Brooklyn Bat Boy by Geoff Griffin
- The Curse of the WereHyena by Bruce Hale
- Camp Nerd by Elissa Brent Weissman
- Zapato Power-Freddie Ramos Rules New York by Jacqueline Jules
- Mermaid Tales by Debbie Dadey
Question 2 (9:05 pm): One new controversy in children’s book publishing is who should write from a minority point of view? What do you think?
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #2
Sponsored by Pack-n-Go Girls: travel adventure mysteries for girls 6 and up
- Mystery at the Christmas Market by Pack-n-Go Girls
- Mystery of the Ballerina Ghost by Pack-n-Go Girls
- Mystery of the Golden Temple by Pack-n-Go Girls
- Mystery of the Min Min Lights by Pack-n-Go Girls
- Mystery of the Troubled Toucan by Pack-n-Go Girls
- Mystery of the Thief in the Night by Pack-n-Go Girls
Question 3 (9:10 pm): What diversity topics in children’s books do you wish there were more books on?
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #3:
Picture Books for ages 4 and up
- She Stood for Freedom by Loki Muholland
- Rice & Rocks by Sandra L. Richards
- Mountain Chef by Annette Bay Pimentel
- Ava Dreams of Water by Nancy Moss
- Three Years and Eight Months by Icy Smith
- Soccer Star by Mina Javaherbin
Question 4 (9:15 pm): I’m noticing characters where they happen to be diversity but that’s not the point of the story. How do you feel about that?
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #4:
Board Book Bundle
- What Can I See (Child’s Play) by Annie Kubler
- When I Wake up by Ming & Joanna Lin
- Little Artists Mini Board Book Sets from Kane Miller Publishing
- Ladoo & Pooja Day from Ladoo Books
- Ladoo & Chai Time from Ladoo Books
- Baby Ply by Carol McDougall & Shanda LaRamee-Jones
Question 5 (9:20 pm): Do you have a preference for traditional books versus ebooks? Does it change for children’s books versus adult books?
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #5
- 100 Fun & Easy Learning Games for Kids by Amanda Boyarishnov and Kim Vij
- A Charmed Life by Gladys E. Barbieri
- Excellent Ed by Stacy McAnulty
- Aiden the Soccer Star by Suzan Johnson
- Journey to Appleville by Veronica Appleton
- 10 Little Ninjas by Miranda Paul
Question 6 (9:25 pm): Self published books versus big publishing companies. What makes you buy a self published book?
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #6
- One Plastic Bag by Miranda Paul
- Destiny & Faith’s Summer Adventures by Teddy O’Malley
- Destiny & Faith Get Stuck in the Country by Teddy O’Malley
- Let’s Celebrate Diwali by Anjali Joshi
- Amal’s EID and Hanuman & The Orange Sun by Amy Maranville
- Here We Go: A Poetry Friday Book from Pomelo Books
Question 7 (9:30 pm): What diversity children’s books, authors and/or illustrators do you think deserve more recognition? Let’s give them a shout out!
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #7
- Catherine’s Pascha by Charlotte Riggle
- Here We Go: A Poetry Friday Book from Pomelo Books
- Cixi The Dragon Empress by Natasha Yim
- PoPo’s Lucky Chinese New Year by Virginia Loh-Hagan
- Ellis & The Hidden Cave by Cerece Murphy
- No Limits-No Boundaries by Natasha Moulton-Levy
- If You Were Me and We Lived In Ancient Greece by Carole P. Roman
Question 8 (9:35 pm): What do you think is the best way to get more diversity and multicultural children’s books published?
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #8
Sponsored by Carole P. Roman
Includes one of each of the “If You Were Me and We Lived In…”
Hungary, Brazil, Peru, Portugal, Russia, Israel, Egypt, Greece, Italy, Australia, Turkey, Norway, Poland, India, Mexico, South Korea, Kenya and China
Question 9 (9:40 pm): What diversity topics in children’s books are you having trouble finding?
Children of the World Set
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #9:
Barefoot Books Sponsored Bundle
Meet children from all over the world and boost global awareness with this unique gift set! Use the memory game to reinforce knowledge about other countries and cultures, and The Barefoot Book of Children to start conversations about diversity, inclusion and the many things all children hold in common.
Retail price: $34.99 USD / $43.99 CAD
Question 10 (9:45 pm): Scholastic top trends in children’s books also shows that “FUNNY” IS STILL NUMBER ONE. What gets your kids reading?
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #10:
Chronicle Books Sponsored Book Bundle
- Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns by Hena Kahn
- Josephine by Patricia Hruby Powell
- Loving vs Virginia by Patricia Hruby Powell
- The Quickest Kid in Clarksville by Pat Zeithow Miller
- Lowriders in Space by Cathy Camper
Question 11 (9:50 pm):What are the diversity children’s picure books and chapter books that you and your kids recommend and why?
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #11:
- The Last Cherry Blossom by Kathleen Burkinshaw
- Naji and the Mystery of the Dig by Vahid Imani
- Obstacles by Greg Ransom
- Malala Yousafzai: Warrior of Words by Karen Leggett
- Ayo’s Money Jar by Smart Choice Nation
- ABC Adoption and ME by Gayle H. Swift
- Celebrate Durga Puja With Me by Shoumi Sen
- Lump Lump and the Blanket of Dreams by Gwen Jackson
- Nonnie & I by Savannah Hendricks
- Trainbots by Miranda Paul
- I’m Trey Jones by Monica-Matthis Howe
- A Journey to Appleville by Veronica Appleton
Question 12 (9:55 pm): What is the message you want to tell publishers and authors with regard to diversity in children’s books?
MCBD Book Bundle Giveaway #12 Grand Prize Bundle:
Sponsored by Scholastic
- The Case for Loving by
- Elephant in the Dark by Mina Javaherbin
- Zen Socks by Jon J. Muth
- Under the Same Sun by Sharon Robinson
- The Granddaughter Necklace by Sharon Dennis Wyeth
- Unidentified Suburban Object by Mike Jung
- Save Me a Seat by Sarah Weeks
- The Hero Two Doors Down by Sharon Robinson
- Moving Target by Christina Diaz Gonzalez
- Making Friends with Billy Wong by Augusta Scattergood
BEST #OWNVOICES CHILDREN’S BOOKS: My Favorite Diversity Books for Kids Ages 1-12 is a book that I created to highlight books written by authors who share the same marginalized identity as the characters in their books.