International Book Giving Day takes place on 14th February each year. The aim? To get books into the hands of as many children as possible.
14th February is about sharing the love of books! #bookgivingday
International Book Giving Day is a 100% volunteer initiative aimed at increasing children’s access to and enthusiasm for books.
- Most children in developing countries do not own books.
- In the United Kingdom, one-third of children do not own books.
- In the United States, two-thirds of children living in poverty do not own books.
International Book Giving Day’s focus is on encouraging people worldwide to give a book to a child on February 14th. We invite individuals to:
1) gift a book to a friend or family member,
2) leave a book in a waiting room for children to read
3) donate a gently used book to a local library, hospital or shelter or to an organization that distributes used books to children in need internationally.
In addition, we encourage people to support the work of nonprofit organizations (i.e. charities) that work year round to give books to children, such as Room to Read (international), Books for Africa (international), Book Aid International (international), The Book Bus (international), First Book (U.S.), Reading is Fundamental (U.S.), Reach Out and Read (U.S.), Pratham Books (India), Indigenous Literacy Foundation (Australia), The Footpath Library (Australia), Nal’ibali (South Africa) and Duffy Books in Homes (New Zealand).
The 2016 poster has been designed by Ben Newman, the illustrator behind Professor Astro Cat. You can seen more of his work over on his website.
6 Ways You Can Get Involved in International Book Giving Day!
- Add your name to the list of individuals celebrating International Book Giving Day.
- Take a look at how others are celebrating, and get inspired!
- Connect with others celebrating International Book Giving Day via Facebook,Twitter or Instagram.
- Download and print an International Book Giving Day bookplate to attach to a book you give to a kid. They’re free!
- Share a photo of yourself celebrating International Book Giving Day via Instagram by adding the hashtag #giveabook or via email (amy dot broadmoore at gmail dot com).
- Invite your community to celebrate International Book Giving Day. We haveInternational Book Giving Day posters available in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Hindi. You can download and print these posters or share them online.
Contacts:Emma Perry . email: emma at mybookcorner dot com dot au — general inquiries
BEST #OWNVOICES CHILDREN’S BOOKS: My Favorite Diversity Books for Kids Ages 1-12 is a book that I created to highlight books written by authors who share the same marginalized identity as the characters in their books.