I’ve been harping on my family about making healthy food choices since winter time is when things are dreary and it’s tough to get out. But I think that making healthy food choices starts at the supermarket; if you don’t bring it home, you don’t eat it.
Our issue is not the family dinner or packing lunches but snack time. My kids are ravenous right after school that they eat as much (or sometimes more) than they do at a meal. Sometimes it is due to their lunch which is scheduled unusually early at 10:30am. Sometimes my kids chat more than eat during lunch period. And sometimes they just don’t love their lunch.
By the time school gets out, it’s the witching hour: hungry + tired = meltdown … even for older kids like mine who are 10, 12 and 15! And they need to eat FAST. And making healthy choices is the last thing on their minds!
The best advice I received from my nutritionist is to pair a carbohydrate with a protein. It’s as simple as:
- Mac and cheese with a side of fruit
- Grilled cheese sandwich on whole grain bread with a cup of tomato soup
- Cheese and crackers: we’re trying out new and different cheese. Gouda and goat cheese have been hits
- Peanut butter and crackers with a glass of milk
- Apple slices and peanut butter
- Chicken nuggets with a fruit smoothie
My kids also like fruit snacks like dehydrated apples and gummy fruit. It’s a treat that I’m happy to pack in my kids’ lunches! Horizon Organics has a new line of fruit snacks that we are eager to try!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organics. The opinions and text are all mine.