It’s funny when you go off topic on your blog what a different direction your conversation takes! I typically blog endlessly about children’s books but my post on My Path to Pugilism is Strew with Skeptics connected me with boxers of all stripes including one boxing expert I’ve been watching on YouTube — Johnny of ExpertBoxing. What fun for me since I have been obsessively watching his boxing training videos!
I like that he is articulate and breaks things down step by step. He is also encouraging and realistic. And that he is a Tango dancer as well confirmed my suspicion that boxing and dancing are very similar with their emphasis on rhythm and footwork!
Johnny offered me his Boxing Diet Book — giveaway below — and I was struck by his emphasis on nutrition and healthy eating habits. His advice is very similar to visiting a nutrutionist and I like that it breaks it down step by step in an easy to understand manner. Just like his boxing videos!
Is a Boxers Diet for you?
Let’s find out. I’ve asked Johnny 5 questions.
1) How is a boxing fighter’s diet to “make weight” different from other diets geared towards weight loss?
The fighter’s diet is the healthiest, most natural, and most proven diet.
Fighter’s lose weight more often than any other type of people I know. We are separated into different weight classes in competition (e.g. lightweight – 136 lbs, middleweight – 160 lbs, heavyweight – 200 lbs, etc). So it’s our advantage to lose weight to fit into the smallest weight class possible. It’s better for fighters to lose weight and fit into a smaller weight class than to face a bigger, taller, stronger opponent.
Now the catch is we can’t just starve ourselves on a fad diet. We have to eat all the right nutrients in order to train 100% and give our best performance during the fight. Fighters may eat more during the training periods but trim down right before the fight. The average amateur boxer may be losing weight up to 10-20 times a year. So we learn very quickly what works and doesn’t work. The result is an absolutely proven diet guaranteed to tear off fat in the shortest time possible!
2) Why should women — my audience is moms — want to try a diet designed for boxers? Would you recommend this diet if you are not a boxer?
Moms (or everybody) should try the fighter’s diet because it’s healthy and fast! I designed my diet guide to remove weight in as fast as 30 days. You could slim down in time for social events such as a wedding, reunion, summer at the beach, or even simply because you want to live healthier. Ideally, you would keep up the diet all year round for long-term benefits. Being in-shape and healthy can benefit anyone.
I initially wrote my diet guide for fighters but it quickly became popular with women. They had taken up boxing or kickboxing classes to lose weight which is how they discovered my boxing website at www.expertboxing.com. These women were struggling to lose weight they gained after getting older, slowed metabolism, having kids, working lifestyle, etc. Despite being health conscious, the pounds kept coming back and they figured it couldn’t hurt to try yet another diet. Their feedback has been nothing short of phenomenal, raving with enthusiasm and excitement about finally getting in shape. It’s truly an honor to help people lose weight and feel great about themselves.
3) Are the vitamin supplements necessary if you do this diet but are not actively boxing or even exercising?
Vitamins are unnecessary in your diet if you’re eating correctly. I do talk about the more essential vitamins to help you determine if they’re in your food or not. For people involved in extreme physical activity (such as fight training or marathon training), more nutrients are necessary making vitamin supplements a helpful convenience. For the average person doing regular exercise, vitamin supplements are not needed as long as your diet is complete.
4) Boil down this diet into three bullet points.
- FAST – proven diet used by fighters to burn fat as fast as possible
- EASY – simple ways to figure out what to eat, when to eat, and how much to eat
- HEALTHY – you’ll feel great, and have more energy and strength throughout your day
5) You are a young and fit guy. I’ve seen your 6 pack. You look like the last person on earth who would have to lose weight or worry about weight gain. How did you come to write a diet book?
As a boxing coach, I’m responsible for many other fighters, not only myself. I’m in charge of making sure my fighters train right, eat right, and show up for competition ready to fight at 100%. People online and offline were asking me the same questions over and over for years, that the book was practically half-written through email replies and website comments by the time I started writing the book.
I wrote the fighter’s diet guide to help fighters lose weight and have energy for their training. But it wasn’t long after that I realized how many people, even health-conscious athletes, do not know how to eat right. While successful dieting has become routine for many fighters, the process still remains a mystery to the average person.
People are still looking for the “secret diet plan” of foods to eat instead of learning how different foods affect their bodies. Most diet books you see today are taking advantage of people’s lack of knowledge, hyping up different dieting methods as if they were fashion trends…which doesn’t make sense when the human body has virtually stayed the same throughout the years.
Once you know how to eat, you are free to mix and match foods however you like! And if you have to cheat, you know when to do it. Most important of all, it’s got to be easy. Nobody (especially moms and athletes) has time to go hunting down random ingredients or otherwise burning time in the kitchen for every meal. My diet guide shares the most effective and proven dieting methods used by boxers over the past decades.
The 30 Day Fighter’s Diet (eBook), retail cost $34
- 180-page eBook — broken down into 10 detailed chapters. Learn what to eat, when to eat, how much to eat. Complete with lists of foods, recipes, and diet plans to guide you through 30 days and beyond. Plenty of helpful charts, lists, links, tips, and printable worksheets to help you GET IN SHAPE FAST!
- Fighters — get the exact diet plan to guide you from day one to fight day. Learn how to schedule meals around workouts, fighter’s supplements, what to eat on the day of the fight BEFORE & AFTER weigh-in. Get strong & make weight in 30 DAYS!
- THIS IS A DIGITAL EBOOK — no physical book will be shipped to you. The eBook is in PDF format, downloaded through the internet (available anywhere worldwide).
BEST #OWNVOICES CHILDREN’S BOOKS: My Favorite Diversity Books for Kids Ages 1-12 is a book that I created to highlight books written by authors who share the same marginalized identity as the characters in their books.