Percy Jackson Book Club for Boys
Percy Jackson is an either/or kind of book series … you either LOVE it or hate it. My 2nd grade son loves it so he proposed it for his book club and I found the graphic novel version to give his friends something new to read. For his book club, we will: make duct tape swords, eat blue food, play Medusa Freeze Tag, and wind down with a trivia game.
Duct Tape Swords
For our first activity, we’ll talk about Percy’s pen/sword Riptide or Anaklusmos (in Ancient Greek: Ανακλυσμός) that is made of Celestial Bronze, a material that is effective only on gods, demigods, Titans, Giants, and monsters.
Riptide was formerly owned, and used, by Hercules and Pleione. The sword’s dormant form was originally Zoë’s hair clip, which she gave to Hercules to help him fight Ladon. Riptide draws its power from the ocean, which is why it works well for ocean spirits and children of Poseidon like Percy.
We’ll make duct tape swords using aluminum foil and duct tape like these here:
If I can find some large cardboard boxes, we can make shields too.
Little boys need some running around time.
- Medusa freeze tag. Tag game in which one person is Medusa. You can free your frozen teammate by tapping them.
- Sword fighting (to test out our duct tape swords).
It must be blue, of course!
• Blue punch
• Blue birthday cake
• Blue corn chips
• Blue dip (just a few drops of food coloring make any dip blue-licious!)
Percy Jackson Trivia
We’ll wind down with a trivia game.
1. Who is Annabeth’s mother? Athena, the Goddess of Wisdom.
2. Who is Clarisse’s father? Ares, the God of War.
3. What sort of creature is Mr. Brunner? Centaur, half horse/ half human.
4. What sort of creature is Grover? Satyr, half goat/half human.
5. Two words: What is the name of Percy’s boarding school? Yancy Academy
6. How many Olympian gods are there? 12
7. What type of tree is on top of Half-Blood Hill? Pine tree
8. What is Mr. D’s full name? Dionysus, God of Wine
9. What sort of animal head hangs above Ares’ cabin? Boar
10. Name one thing that Hermes is the god of. Thieves. Also messenger god.
11. Who is the wife of Zeus? Hera
12. What is the pattern on Mr. D’s shirt? Tiger stripes
13. Where do Percy and his mother like to go on vacation? Montauk on Long Island.
14. Three words: according to Percy’s mom, how did his dad disappear? Lost at sea.
15. Who is Dionysus’ father? Zeus
16. What is Dionysus restricted from? He can’t drink wine or any other kind of alcohol for 100 years.
17. What part of the Big House seems mysterious to Percy? Attic
18. What does Percy use to defeat Clarisse when she tries to bully him? Water from the toilets.
19. What lives in the canoe lake? Naiads
20. Aside from pinochle, what is another game Dionysus considers the greatest human achievement? Pac-Man
21. What is Smelly Gabe’s last name? Ugliano
22. What sort of creature tried to attack young Percy when he was taking a nap in daycare? Snake
23. Who was Zeus’ mother, who hid him from Kronos? Rhea
24. Chiron says there is a statue of what Greek mythological figure in Rockefeller Center? Prometheus
25. Who is the Greek lord of the dead? Hades
Percy Jackson and the Olympians Paperback Boxed Set (Books 1-3) by Rick Riordan
The Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Lightning Thief, The Graphic Novel
To examine any of the items listed, please click on image of item. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Follow PragmaticMom’s board Children’s Book Activities on Pinterest.
BEST #OWNVOICES CHILDREN’S BOOKS: My Favorite Diversity Books for Kids Ages 1-12 is a book that I created to highlight books written by authors who share the same marginalized identity as the characters in their books.