Best Armchair Travel Memoirs
The list is actually The 100 Most Celebrated Travel Books of All Time and it’s here. Given that my “second act” is 12 years away, I am just going to try to read the first 10 books which I am surprised to find that I have read NONE of them!!
What is your favorite travel memoir book? Mine is still A Year in Provence and On Rue Tatin. Maybe I am just partial to France. Too bad, because my French is terrible and I’m studying Spanish.
That’s ok because my friend, Carol Reichert, is writing a travel memoir about Spain. An excerpt is published here … read that as her book is still being wrapped up. An excerpt of the excerpt is here.
1) A Dragon Apparent by Norman Lewis
2) A House in Bali by Colin McPhee
3) A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
4) A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby
5) A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor
7) A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
8) A Winter in Arabia by Freya Stark
9) Among the Russians by Colin Thubron
10) An Area of Darkness by V.S. Naipaul
To view any book more closely at Amazon, please click on image of book.