Picture Book Reading Challenge
This a great challenge by There’s a Book (a fabulous children’s book blog, by the way) that ANYONE can participate in. You don’t have to be a blogger to join! You can read to your child OR you can just read them yourself! Who’s in? I am! I am going to try to read 200 picture books and blog on them with my kids during the year.
Here’s the deal from There’s A Book:
I’ve been in search of a challenging and fun picture book reading challenge and haven’t found exactly the right one as of yet. So I thought why not start one? This will be the first annual Read to Me – A Picture Book Reading Challenge with hopes that it will continue on for years to come.
- The objective of the Read to Me Challenge is to read with the kiddos in your life and/or enjoy picture books in general.
- Books must be ones written expressly for children ages 9 and under. Board books, early readers, picture books, etc.
- Print or eBook format is acceptable.
- Anyone can join. You don’t have to be a blogger, and you don’t have to live in the United States. Open worldwide.
- You do not have to have an blog to participate.
- You can join at anytime. Deadline to join is November 20, 2011. (not 2010 you still have PLENTY of time to sign up!) The challenge runs from January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011.
How To Participate:
1. Decide which challenge level you’ll be doing (see below).
2. Decide if you intend to read them with a child or on your own. Sorry, but those who read with a child get twice as many entries each month. Although those that do read with a child need to share their experience with the them in their review.
3. Grab a button.
4. Create your own post to let all your readers know you’re taking part in the challenge and at what level. Make sure to link back to this page with either one of the buttons or a text link.
5. Use the link form below to enter into the challenge by sharing your challenge post url and your name (either your name, blog name, or both). Please only use the comment section to participate if you do not have a blog. All other participants should use Mr. Linky below with a direct link to your challenge post.
6. Submit your reviews as you complete them on the designated monthly post to be qualified for monthly prize drawings.
7. There will be a “wrap-up” completion link-up at the end of the year to sign up for to share in your successes.
Reading with a Child:
- “Planting” – Read 12 picture books with a child during the year.
- “Watering” – Read 36 picture books with a child during the year.
- “Feeding” – Read 72 picture books with a child during the year.
- “Growing” – Read 120 picture books with a child during the year.
- “Harvesting” – Read 200 picture books with a child during the year.
Reading on Your Own:
- “Board Book” – Read 12 picture books on your own during the year.
- “Unjacketed” – Read 36 picture books on your own during the year.
- “Jacketed“ – Read 72 picture books on your own during the year.
- “Early Reader” – Read 120 picture books on your own during the year.
- “Chapter Reader” – Read 200 picture books on your own during the year.
That’s it! Now go, create your posts and then link up below! I can’t wait to see what books you read throughout the year!
What Am I Doing?
My youngest is 6 is about to enter Easy Reader Land but I want to prolong Picture Books as long as possible so I am pledging to do the Harvesting. I will not do individual posts on all 200 books, but I will give updates most likely in increments of 10 of our favorites. I am so excited for this challenge! What a great excuse to built up my Caldecott library…