How to Get Your Kids Reading for Pleasure
Thank you to everyone who sent in pictures. I publish them in the order I receive them and I ALWAYS need more photos. What are your kids reading and can you catch them in the act of reading?! If you do, please send them to me at pragmaticmom.com(at)gmail(dot)com. Thank you! Read more…
Best Books for Kids: The National Book Awards
The National Book Awards
Kathryn Erskine’s acceptance speech.
Reviews of books from Six Boxes of Books. Read more…
Best Winter Boots for Moms Who Deal with Snow
I have a list of criteria for my annual winter boot purchase:
- Must be weatherproof (i.e. can walk in dewy grass with dog and not get wet, cold feet).
- Must be flat (i.e. must be able to walk 2 miles in comfort AND be able to sprint short distances in case need arises to chase after kid or dog).
- Must be around $200 AND on sale! This might be a one season only purchase, not so much because the boots don’t last but because the winters are long.
- Can’t be ugly. Read more…
Burma or Myanmar for Kids Though Books and Activities
Why Burma? A trio of serendipitous events collided:
- A Mom Friend from Burma hosted a Mystery Dinner School Fundraiser and 8 parents from my school went to her dinner.
- I had brunch with one set of parents who raved about her dinner, a Burmese Noodle Dish — recipe below –, and reminisced about his own travels to Burma. He was there during the student protests (see history bullet points below) which was a crazy and somewhat unsafe time to be a tourist in Burma.
- I was at a U2 concert a year ago, and Bono dedicated a song to Aung San Suu Kyi, who was I barely aware of. Read more…
Raising a Reader
Thank you again for contributing photos to this weekly Monday feature, Caught in the Act … of Reading. Thank you also to multiple photo contributors, Mama C and the Boys, and parents of Issie and Lucie. It’s really fun to see your children loving to read as well as making steady progress! And please take a minute to view the video of older sister Riley reading to her little brother. Blue Hat, Green Hat has never been more fun and how exciting that Riley can read to her brother and does it so nicely! I have to bribe my daughters to read to their little brother; they view it as a chore! Read more…
Free Books for Kids
Here’s how my Second Hand Saturday winner selection works. You leave a comment within 7 days when the post first goes up (you have from Sat until Sat, so really 8 days because I am not that on top of it). You tell me WHAT BOOK YOU WANT and WHY YOU WANT IT. Whoever makes a compelling argument will win because I am all about getting the right book into the right hands. If no one wants the books, I’ll tweet like mad until someone comments. My Twitter handle is @PragmaticMom. If you follow me, I’ll follow you back. Read more…