I will confess that I’ve never read a gender-specific parenting book. My older two are girls and my husband and I are dreading the pre-teen (now!) and teenage years. The warnings abound of what is to come from parents of older girls and this might drive me to pick up a book on parenting pre-teen or teenager girls.
My little boy, on the other hand, is at the stage where he loves his mommy the most and is as sweet as can be. I wish this phase could last forever. Parenting a boy compared to girls seems relatively straightforward — a straight line of screen time limits and outdoor play versus the wiggly line for girls of pissy attitudes and struggles over what to wear. Or could this just be that my son is still little?!
So, this list caught my eye. I better get cracking. Who knows what I am not doing right?! Let me know if anyone comes across with a list of parenting books for girls. This is giving me a bigger headache at the moment!
Best Parenting Books for Raising Boys
1. Raising Real Men: Surviving, Teaching and Appreciating Boys by Hal and Melanie Young
2. Boy-sterous Living: Celebrating Your Loud and Rowdy Life with Sons by Jean Blackmer
3. Raising a Modern Day Knight: A Father’s Role is Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood by Robert Lewis
4. That’s My Son: How Moms Can Influence Boys to Become Men of Character by Rick Johnson
5. Created for Work: Practical Insights for Young Men by Bob Schultz
6. King Me: What Every Son Wants and Needs from His Father by Steve Farrar
7. Boyhood and Beyond: Practical Steps to Becoming a Man by Bob Schultz
8. Mothers and Sons: Raising Boys to Be Men by Jean Lush, Pam Vredevelt
10. How Do You Tuck In a Superhero? And Other Delightful Mysteries of Raising Boys by Rachel Balducci
Thank you to a reader for her suggestion:
It’s a Boy!: Your Son’s Development From Birth to Age 18 by Michael Thompson and Theresa Barker
p.s. Related posts:
To examine any book more closely at Amazon, please click on image of book.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
BEST #OWNVOICES CHILDREN’S BOOKS: My Favorite Diversity Books for Kids Ages 1-12 is a book that I created to highlight books written by authors who share the same marginalized identity as the characters in their books.