Best Classic Picture Books for Kids
A great list of some of my favorite books from childhood. Thanks LittleOneBooks.com! I have deep and abiding love for all of your picks!
p.s. Here’s my list of Top 10: Best Old Fashioned Children’s Books.
Every year new children’s books are published, each better than before. Or are they? Classics are classics for a reason. Little One Books has created a list of lesser–known favorites from back in the day. Everything old is new again.
1. Make Way for Ducklings (1942): Mr. and Mrs. Mallard offer a birds eye tour of Boston as they go in search of the perfect place to raise their young.
* This is not available at Amazon at the moment but this is a compilation of several beloved Robert McCloskey Classics. If you live in New England, it’s a classic must-have for your library. If you live in Boston, you must get your hands on Make Way for Ducklings.
2. The Story of Ferdinand (1936): A sweet bull who’d rather smell the flowers than pick a fight.
3. Harold and the Purple Crayon (1955): An ode to the limitless powers of a child’s imagination.
4. Tubby the Tuba (1945): Paul Tripp’s original song (combined with contemporary illustrations) introduces a dizzying array of instruments with a can-do attitude.
5. The Runaway Bunny (1942): Bunny will never run so far that Mama can’t catch up for a cuddle. It’s classic comfort.
6. Goodnight Moon (1947): A lullaby-like farewell to the end of day and embrace of night.
* Can you find the mouse on every full-color spread? It’s tricky!
7. Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel(1939): An expressive steam shovel proves that hard work and perseverance pays off.
8. Pat the Bunny (1940): Texture and activity team up to make this little book a literal feel-good experience.
9. Ask Mr. Bear (1968): A child searches for the ultimate birthday present for his Mother. Leave it to Mr. Bear to guide him in the right direction.
10. Blueberries for Sal (1949): Cubs and kids both get lost (and found) in this tale of ‘beary’ picking.
To view any book more closely at Amazon, please click on image of book.