What Boys and Girls Need to Succeed; It’s Different!
The following tips come from an old issue of Family Circle Magazine.
A Leg Up for Boys…
- If your son is not getting enough gym time, sign him up for a sports class or exercise class. This helps to curb restlessness and helps him to focus on learning.
- Make sure dad has equal time in reading aloud to your son.
- Instead of a video game, buy your son a magazine subscription.
- Give your son a cool notebook, unlined for doodling.
A Leg Up for Girls…
- Play math games — counting, multiplying fractions — while shopping, eating and traveling.
- Provide plenty of exposure to science, taking trips to the natural history museums or participating in community projects like gardening or recycling.
- Banish the notion of being “good” or “bad” at math. Explain that persistence, not talent, is key.