- Cardstock for the cover
- Some ribbon
- Paper lunch size bags, a variety is fine
- Hole Punch
- Post It Notes to write down your Random Act of Kindness or Gratitude.
1. Fold the paper lunch bags over to the fold of the bottom of the bag and cut off the bottom.
2. Cut out cover slightly larger than largest size paper bag.
3. Punch holes into bags and cover.
4. Tie ribbons.
5. Decorate cover. Print a copy of the cover here.
To make the Gratitude Journal into an Advent Calendar, use post it notes for each day and write down a Random Act of Kindness to do that day.
On days where it’s impossible to do a Random Act of Kindness, simply write down what each member of the family is grateful for.
Here are some ideas for Random Acts of Kindness:
1. Hold the door for someone.
2. Take the time to thank someone for something they do that is generally unnoticed.
3. Give a sincere compliment.
4. Put change in a stranger’s parking meter.
5. Make a small donation of something you purge from your house. It can be used books for the library book fair, a small bag of canned food for a food bank, or gently used clothes for a local charity like Cradle to Crayons.
6. Pick up trash at the playground or park.
7. Pick up dog poop on the sidewalk or park that isn’t from your dog.
8. Weed the neighborhood park or school playground.
9. Bake cookies for the local firemen.
10. Cheer for the opposing sports team that your child is playing against when they do something amazing.
11. Recycle something you don’t usually do.
12. Rescue spiders that wander into your house or other critters.
13. Donate food to a local food pantry
14. Donate used clothes to a charity.
15. Hold the door at drop off.
16. Do a household chore that is usually not your responsibility.
17. Turn off all excess lights in the house.
18. Help someone with their job.
19. Teach someone who needs help.
20. Let someone go in front of you in line.
21. Be polite on the road.
22. Offer someone a piece of gum.
23. Share your umbrella.
24. Say a cheery “Good Morning”
25. Say something nice about someone.
What are your favorite Random Acts of Kindess Ideas? Please share!
p.s. Thank you to my friend Melissa B for sending me this Read Together Advent Calendar fun idea from Holidaze.
Wrap up twenty-five children’s books and put them under the tree with a special blanket next to them. Before bed each evening, your kids choose one book to open and read together…until Christmas.
MaryAnne from MamaSmiles has Picture Book Advent Calendar too!
p.p.s. For more Random Acts of Kindness Ideas, I did 48 two years ago to celebrate my birthday.
12 Days of Shopping with Jeanette of Tiny Rotten Peanuts
p.p.p.s. For more DIY holiday ideas, check out Living Locurto’s Living Creative link up.