I knew a few things when I met my honey:
- That within a week of meeting him I knew that I met my future husband. (It took him a few years to figure that out though!)
- I would become a golf widow (though I took up golf to avoid that).
- It would be hard to ever stay mad at him because he makes me laugh.
- That I would marry him all over again!
When I met my husband 21 years ago, he looked like this.
At a photoshoot at the golf clothing apparel company that I started after business school (now defunct).
The photos I have of him before I started taking photos of him revolve around golf. He practiced 18 hours a day during the summers because it was just fun for him.
He started playing golf at around age 9 and never looked back.
High school golf yearbook photos.
But what else makes him happy besides an eagle or a hole in one? I thought I’d ponder that list in honor of our 19th anniversary.
19 Things That Make My Husband Happy
1. When the bed is made.
2. When anyone notices a small detail in our house that he agonized over like a drawer pull, the hinge on the door, or the molding around the windows.
3. When the house is clean.
The night he proposed. We are at a bar in Carmel called Sadies on New Year’s Eve. After midnight, we walk on Carmel beach and onto the 10th green at Pebble Beach which is accessible off the beach. It’s the not the famous hole which makes PickyKidPix think it could have been a better moment.
4. When UCLA beats USC (or when anyone beats USC’s football team).
5. When FC Barça beats Réal Madrid (or when anyone beats Réal Madrid).
6. A hot bowl of pho, even on a hot day.
7. The dive Brazilian buffet restaurant near our house especially on Fridays, fish stew day!
Our first ratty apartment in West Los Angeles.
9. When the temperature is above 60 degrees.
10. That his work attire is now work boots and paint encrusted hoodies.
11. Discovering new country rock bands that can actually carry a tune like The Avett Brothers.
12. When he gets home and there’s a nice hot dinner waiting for him.
13. When the kids actually do the thing he asks them to do without repeating himself over and over again.
14. When he hits the exact golf shot he’s going for. It’s not necessarily making a birdie or eagle but hitting that difficult shot.
15. When UCLA has a great basketball team. (His alma mater; they won the NCAA championship in 1993, the year we met.)
His bachelor posse.
16. When his kids display their good manners to adults thus dispelling the fear that people will think they were raised by wolves (because he thinks I was raised by wolves).
17. Bud Lite in a can. Yes, he’s had scores of other beers but he just prefers Bud Lite in a can and he’s not afraid to say it.
Meeting my mother.
18. Waking up each morning, thus cheating death for one more day.
19. Being married to me! Happy Anniversary honey!
19 years and 3 kids! Who would have thunk?