Dogs versus Kids?
It was an easy week for me last week. My two older girls were at sleep away camp so we just had our rising 2nd grade son. The house was quiet and he reveled at being an only child. I still had dog walking duties and they are not insignificant. My dog, now 2 years old, needs a 3 mile off leash hike daily. Still, as I reflected on dog vs kids, I dashed off this tongue-in-cheek list of why dogs are easier –some would even say better but I certainly wouldn’t! — list of why dogs ARE easier than kids!
1) You can leave dogs at home unsupervised for hours without looking like a bad mom.
2) Dogs are easy to wake up in the morning compared to kids, particularly teens!
3) When dogs misplace their toy, they don’t throw a nutty to make you search for it.
4) Dogs don’t need sunscreen.
5) Dogs don’t have to be fed every three hours.
6) A dog’s bathing requirements are minimal and practically optional.
7) Dogs aren’t fussy about their water source. You will never hear your dog say, “Eh, I can’t drink it. SHE touched it.”
8) Dogs get along well with their siblings.
9) Dogs are better at napping. You would never have to drive around for hours trying to get your dog to fall asleep!
10) Dogs actually come when called.