Fun and Easy Outdoor 3rd Grade Book Club for Kids
We did a really fun book club using the third chapter book in the Newbery winner Penderwicks series. The only trick is to get the weather to cooperate. It was so easy:
- I took the kids to a Pine Woods hiking trail. Technically, it’s an off-leash dog park around a fenced reservoir.
- I brought our dog.
- The snack could be pie but that’s a little messy in the car so I opted for two tubs of mini-brownies from Whole Foods and small water bottles. I was referencing the first Penderwick book.
- We brought a soccer ball to play 2 on 1 slaughter. (All the girls in this book club play soccer). The girls only kicked the ball around for 5 minutes though. They preferred to hike the trail in search of the perfect walking sticks.
- The book has pine woods next to a golf course. There is actually a golf hole next to this trail.
- The girls pretended to be different characters in the book. Most girls took on two or three roles. I didn’t even have to prompt this! (Miracle!!)
- The girls loved having a dog with them and my dog loves going here.
- We pointed out similarities from the book to this place.
To view the book more closely at Amazon, please click on image of book.