Books for First Grade and Second Grade
This is a great reading list from the Newton Free Library system that includes graphic novels, easy readers, non fiction, picture books, poetry and magazines. If you are part of the Minutemen library system, just click on link of book title to reserve.
Other lists include:
*2. Browne, Anthony. Me and You. (J Folk)
*3. Cleary, Brian P. Six Sheep Sip Thick Shakes: And Other Tricky Tongue Twisters. (J 398.8 C58S)
*5. Graham, Bob. April and Esme: Tooth Fairies. (J Pic)
9. Johnson, Angela. The Day Ray Got Away. (J Pic)
11. Kroll, Steven. Super-Dragon. (J Graphic)
13. Lane, Penny Ann. First Shapes in Buildings. (J 516.15 L24F)
*15. Lin, Grace. Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same! (J Easy/Kit)
Ting and Ling: Not Exactly the Same! won a Geisel Award. It is destined to become a classic in the vein of Little Bear and Frog and Toad. Ling can sit still, Ting can’t and this comes to bear when they get their hair cut. Suddenly, it becomes easier to tell these two identical twins apart. Lin masterfully weaves 6 charming stories together that speak of Asian culture, the unique bond of twins, and creative story telling by both girls. My little son and I LOVE this book!
23. Spiegelman, Nadja and Trade Loeffler. Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework. (J Graphic)
This book won a Caldecott and my 6-year-old son and I LOVE it. It’s really funny and the illustrations won for the Caldecott, I believe, because Stein changes illustration styles for each book that the Daddy Chicken reads to his little one (who interrupts each story with a happier ending). This is a wonderful addition to our own collection at home!
28. Wells, Robert E. Why Do Elephants Need the Sun? (J 523.7 W46W)
*29. Winter, Jeanette. Biblioburro: A True Story from Columbia. (JE S71.WI)
30. Yorinks, Arthur. Flappy and Scrappy. (J Easy)
* Great author who has other good titles.
To view any book more closely in Amazon, please click on image of book.