Reach Out and Read
Reach Out and Read contacted me to see if I would help spread the word about their new ambitious campaign to put 1,000,000 books into the hands of children through a partnership with doctors, nurses, and other medical practitioners. They are hoping that you can help donate books virtually by making a donation for a specific book here. Or organize a book drive for them (see details here). Or just read to a child.
Here’s their info:
Reach Out and Read prepares America’s youngest children to succeed in school by partnering with doctors to prescribe books and encourage families to read together. Most unique to Reach Out and Read are the messengers of the model: doctors, nurse practitioners, and other medical professionals incorporate Reach Out and Read’s evidence-based model into regular pediatric checkups, by advising parents about the importance of reading aloud and giving developmentally-appropriate books to children.
Summer is here! Yet the summer months can be a precarious time for children who may lose what they learned during the school year. In response, Reach Out and Read has launched the Summer of a Million Books campaign, a new initiative in partnership with United We Serve: Let’s Read. Let’s Move. The campaign aims to give a brand-new, age-appropriate book to one million at-risk children before Labor Day. To invigorate the campaign, Reach Out and Read asks supporters to donate a book or sponsor a child online through Reach Out and Read’s Virtual Book Drive and/or to organize a book drive in their community. Also, throughout the summer, don’t forget to read daily … twenty minutes will do! … to the children who touch your lives.
Become a Part of Reach Out and Read’s
Summer of a Million Books Campaign
June 21 – September 6, 2010
In conjunction with United We Serve’s “Let’s Read. Let’s Move.” initiative, Reach Out and Read is launching a bold, new campaign to put one million brand-new books in the hands of American children before Labor Day.
That means that every day between Father’s Day and Labor Day, Reach Out and Read’s participating pediatricians will need to distribute more than 18,500 books to the children we serve. Every time they hand a book to a child, our pediatricians also provide parents with age-appropriate reading tips and advice about the importance of reading aloud every day.
If we succeed, we will provide one million more families with the tools and the guidance they need to prepare their children to succeed in school. But we cannot accomplish this goal without your support.
How can I become a part of the Summer of a Million Books Campaign?
- Donate a book or sponsor a child online through Reach Out and Read’sVirtual Book Drive.
- Organize a book drive for the Reach Out and Read Program in your community.
- Most importantly, read to the children in your life every day.
Summer of a Million Books Campaign Supporters
- The Corporation for National and Community Service created United We Serve’s “Let’s Read. Let’s Move.” initiative and is encouraging all Americans to volunteer in support of Reach Out and Read and other community organizations that promote literacy and healthy lifestyles for children.
- Scholastic Book Clubs’ ClassroomsCare Program has committed to donating 125,000 books to children served by Reach Out and Read Programs on U.S. military bases.
- Fox 25 Morning News (WFXT-TV, Boston) is hosting a Children’s Book Drive for Reach Out and Read every “Zip Trip Friday” this Summer in communities across Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
- Charlesbridge Publishing, Inc. has generously agreed to make a matching book donation to Reach Out and Read for every book raised through Fox 25’s Children’s Book Drive.
- The HealthCare Institute of New Jersey (HINJ) will donate more than 41,000 brand-new books to Reach Out and Read Programs in New Jersey this Summer.
- Borders Bookstores will support Reach Out and Read Programs in California, Michigan, New York, Ohio, and several other states by hosting in-store book drives and benefit days in August.
- Kaiser Permanente has committed to providing books and funding to dozens of Reach Out and Read Programs in Northern California and Southern California.