Help People of Afghanistan
Who: Riverhead Trade Paperbacks, a division of Penguin Group (USA) is sponsoring. You must be 18 years of age to participate.
What: Campaign to aid people of Afghanistan through The Khaled Hosseini Foundation, a non-profit started by author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.
How: Starting on June 15th and running through August 31st, people can visit www.penguin.com/community/hosseini, join the “Hosseini” group, and upload up to two photos of themselves holding either book (can be from library!)
Need More Detail?
Riverhead Trade Paperbacks, a division of Penguin Group (USA), has announced a campaign starting June 15th and ending August 31, 2010 to raise up to $25,000 for The Khaled Hosseini Foundation, a nonprofit organization started by the author of the internationally bestselling novels The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns to aid the people of Afghanistan.
Inspired by readers around the world who have embraced and shared Hosseini’s beloved novels, the Picture a Book Changing Lives campaign invites people to submit up to two still photos of themselves reading or holding a copy of either The Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns.
For each eligible photo uploaded to the Hosseini group page of the Penguin Group (USA) website, Riverhead will donate $2.00 (up to a maximum $25,000 donation) to The Khaled Hosseini Foundation. Starting on June 15th and running through August 31st (11:59:59pm ET), people can visit www.penguin.com/community/hosseini, join the “Hosseini” group, and upload their pictures.
PICTURE A BOOK CHANGING LIVES Campaign
Between June 15, and August 31, 2010, for every eligible photo uploaded to Penguin.com/Community’s Hosseini group in accordance with these Rules, Riverhead Books will donate US $2 (up to a maximum $25,000 donation) to The Khaled Hosseini Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit. The Foundation provides humanitarian assistance to the people of Afghanistan by supporting projects which provide shelter to refugee families and economic and educational opportunities for women and children, as well as awarding scholarships to students who have migrated to the United States under refugee status and women pursuing higher education in Afghanistan.
Open to residents of the fifty United States, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories and possessions ages 18 and older.
How to Participate:
- To participate in the PICTURE A BOOK CHANGING LIVES campaign (“Campaign”), review these Rules and if you are not already a member of the Penguin Community, register at www.penguin.com/community/hosseini, and join the Hosseini group. Then log in and upload a photo of yourself holding or reading THE KITE RUNNER and/or A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS (each a “Book” and together “Books”), by Khaled Hosseini. Photos must be submitted no later than August 31, 2010, 11:59:59 PM, Eastern Time (ET).
- Only still photos are eligible. Limit two photos per Penguin Community account. Submissions that do not contain a photo of yourself and the book(s) THE KITE RUNNER and/or A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS are not eligible. If the person submitting the photos is not the photographer, the submitter must obtain permission from the photographer of each photo before submitting it.
- Open to residents of the fifty United States, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories and possessions ages 18 and older. Void where prohibited by law. All state and local restrictions apply.
- Riverhead Books, a division of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. (“Sponsor”) and its parent, subsidiary or affiliated companies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software or telephone malfunctions of any kind. If for any reason the Campaign is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsor shall have the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign.
- Sponsor’s decisions concerning all matters related to these Official Rules and the Campaign are final and binding.
- By submitting photos to this Campaign: you grant to Sponsor, its affiliates, accounts, licensees, successors and assigns a non-exclusive, royalty-free transferable license to use the submitted photos and the right to use your name(s), likeness(es), hometown(s) and biographical information for promotional and advertising purposes, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. You represent and warrant that you have the right to make such grants and, if you did not take the submitted photos, you have obtained permission from the photographer of each submitted photo to use it as provided in these Rules.
- By participating in this Campaign and/or submitting one or more photos, you release Sponsor, its parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, Khaled Hosseini and The Khaled Hosseini Foundation and their respective licensees, successors and assigns from any and all liability for any loss, harm, injuries, damages, cost or expense arising out of or relating to your participation in this Campaign and the use of the photos and your name, likeness, hometown and biographical information as provided herein.
Riverhead Books, A Division of Penguin Group (USA) Inc., 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014.
To examine any book more closely at Amazon, please click on image of book.