Learning Spanish Games for Kids
From my friends at Spanish Playground, a great FUN and FREE web game to learn Spanish vowel sounds. Thanks Spanish Playground!!!
This is an online activity in which children listen for specific Spanish vowel sounds in words. It is intended for native speakers of Spanish, but is also excellent for Spanish language learners. In order to be able to pronounce the Spanish vowels correctly, a child has to be able to hear them, and this activity is good practice. It also uses common Spanish vocabulary and reinforces that vocabulary with pictures.
Click here to play. You will follow these simple steps.
- Click on the pencil. If you hover you will hear haz click aquí which means “click here.”
- You will hear Vamos a jugar con tus primeras letras. Las vocales: a, e, i, o, u (Let’s play with your first letters. The vowels: a, e, i, o, u.)
- If you want to review the vowel sounds you can hover over the letters on the blackboard to hear them and repeat the sounds.
- Click on the radio on the bookshelf. You will hear escuchamos las vocales(we listen to the vowels.)
- You will hear haz click en sí o no si escuchas la letra de color en …(Click on yes or no if you hear the colored letter in …)
- Below the sí and no, the five vowels are listed. One of them is a color other than gray. You are listening for that vowel sound in the word. You can hear the word again by hovering over the speaker. The picture on the right represents the word you hear.
- Say the sound of the vowel that you are listening for (the one in color) with your child. Then hover over the speaker and listen and repeat the word. If you hear the sound anywhere in the word, click sí. If you don’t hear the sound, click no.
- If you are right, the picture pops and disappears, and one of the toys goes into the toy box. If you make a mistake, a buzzer will sound.
The vowels sounds are essential to Spanish pronunciation. Hearing the Spanish vowels your child will learn how to pronounce them. This is an important step in learning to speak Spanish.