- One of the few things a person is willing to pay for and not get.
- William Lowe Bryan (1860–1955) 10th president of Indiana University (1902 to 1937).
- Education is what remains when we have forgotten all that we have been taught.
- George Savile, Marquis of Halifax (1633-1695) English statesman and author.
- Education is a progressive discovery of our ignorance.
- Will Durant (1885-1981) U.S. author and historian.
Teachers are people who start things they never see finished, and for which they never get thanks until it is too late. Max Forman
A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education he may steal the whole railroad. Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919) American president
- They say that we are better educated than our parents’ generation. What they mean is that we go to school longer. They are not the same thing.
- Douglas Yates
- Everyone who is incapable of learning has taken to teaching.
- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) Irish poet and dramatist. The Decay of Lying.
- He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) British dramatist, critic, writer. Maxims for Revolutionists.
I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education.Wilson Mizner (1876-1933) American dramatist.
Education is too important to be left solely to educators.Francis Keppel (1916–1990) American educator, U.S. Commissioner of Education (1962–1965).
- Colleges are places where pebbles are polished and diamonds are dimmed.
- Robert G. Ingersoll, Abraham Lincoln.
- Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run.
- Mark Twain (1835-1910) American writer.